Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cold / Flu Season

I don't know about everyone's places of work, but I'm starting to hear coughing, sneezing, and nubbin' blowing - the signs that cold and flu season is "all up ons"  **cringes**

I'm such a germaphobe, at work I wipe down my desk and computer with a clorox wipe every day and I don't even share my desk with anyone from the previous shift. The following "thought blurb" is the reason why!

I don't remember where I learned this but DID YOU KNOW your desk has more germs than a public restroom toilet seat? Now, I've breifly glanced at some really horrific public restrooms (before I ran away screaming and decided to hold it) that could probably prove this statement wrong but, EW yea...think how many germs and stuff your hands come in contact with throughout the day.



Anywho, so if you're like me, thinking you're about to strangle the next person who walks by your desk and sneezes,  you feel a cold coming on and you're tryin your hardest to fight it. Here's some fun, and good to know, at home cold remedies and facts.

1- Honey   - Was rated as the best cough medicine in a parent study from the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine. I also love it for it's wonderful power of soothing of sore throats.......and for PB and Honey Sandwiches :)


2- Chicken Noodle Soup is really good for your cold. It helps with inflamation, congestion, and actually inhibits some of those nasty things that got you sick in the first place.


3- Taking Garlic Supplements helps prevent colds. I just learned this, and so it's on my shopping list!

 
4- Green Tea! Enough said. It helps prevent colds and flus, and is amazing during your cold. I love green tea, it's the first thing I grab whenever I feel a sorethroat, sinus pressure....and all other cold symptoms coming on.
 
  
5 - Don't use any nasal spray with Zinc in it! The FDA recently warned people against nasal products with zinc in them, because it leads to permanent loss of smell.
   
 
6- Did you know that the Airborne company just settled a 22 million dollar class-action lawsuit and another settlement with the Federal Trade Commision on charges that they don't have sufficient evidence to back up their claims? 
Want to learn more? http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/airborne-tablets-scam-costs-company-22-million-a-scambuster-update-2/

 
7- Elderberry Juice (or extract) is apparently amazing at helping resolve that pesky cold. They're really high in antioxidants. I've never had elderberry juice, but I drink tons of pomegranite juice during my colds, and I think that it helps quite a bit.
 
  
  
 
TCHAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment