Monday, September 7, 2009

I am a Student Again!

Today I learned that I was officially accepted into American Intercontinental University!
How exciting eh?
 
My classes start October 5th already, I'm a little nervous but pumped to get back into schooling. This is sooner than I was actually looking forward to but if I'm pay tuition for 2009 & 2010, I get a nifty TAX CREDIT! $2,500...all mine, no strings attached, to put towards savings of course! So it just means I get cash money to go to school earlier and in turn, finish my degree sooner - win win!

I'm shooting for a BBA in Accounting and Finance, and there's a handful of concentrations that I can go for too. I'm looking at doing the Corporate Investment Analysis, I'm still undecided for that but I have until Jan 2011 to decide because January is the end of my classes needed to graduate, then I can go for concentrations.

****

Now I know that I had previously posted about Western Governors University being the "university for me" but after doing quite a bit for researching and comparing of different online schools, I decided that AIU had more to offer. Really, the only downside is actually the cost, but it is still quite a bit cheaper than UOP.

AIU's degree program is actually what I kept coming back to. They offer both a BBA & a MBA in Accounting and Finance and have numberous concentrations that I can take advantage of. Any other university that I was looking into did not offer both a bachelors and a masters in that degree.

The more I looked in Western Governors University, the more it actually kind of sketched me out. The big thing that worried me was their accreditations. AIU is accredited by the same departments (CHEA and some other gov agency) that accredits all of the actual brick and mortar schools. As a opposed to WGU that is accredited by the DETC which is an actual accrediting body, but from my understanding DETC accreditation isn't as good as being accredited by CHEA & (the other one), and a lot of employers won't recognize your degree. We definately DON'T want that!

If you're looking into attending an online university, here's a nifty government site that I reccomend you use to verify a school's current accredidation. It will even tell you if it's in the process of being revoked, is inactive, canceled, etc...

http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
  
 
 

2 comments:

  1. wow you got lucky with that tax credit, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you - I am glad to see you are enjoying school! Hip-hip for extra free money too!

    ReplyDelete