Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Speed Racin' Hubby

  
 
    
Well I'm one happy girl, the husband made it through one of the most dangerous SCCA weekend races there is - Bogus Basin Hill Climb (next in line is - Freeze-out Hill Challenge...well they're both pretty equal in my "dangerous, nail-biting meter"). Eric has been a member of the SCCA for 3 years now, and within this short membership has really made a name for himself. Whenever I go watch, I always feel like a proud mama when numerous people come up to me and tell me how talented Eric is at racing cars.
    
He should be though, he has racing in his blood (I can't wait to have little boys...). His grandfather raced stock cars in the 50's, and is a permanent VIP at Dover Downs. His uncle Jerry used to be a member of Rusty Wallace's team, running all over the US at the different NASCAR events. His father owned a Nova in high school that he drag raced quite a bit.
      
Eric has been racing since he was seven years old. No, he definately wasn't racing cars that young! He got his first motor bike at the age of seven and instantly began racing MotoX. He raced with the Eastern Idaho Motorcycle Assoc & the Idaho State Motorcross Series. This is partially why we started dating :) I was attracted to someone who was a little different than the average (and boring) football, basketball.... etc, jock & farmboys, plentifully available in my hometown. I don't intend to offend but that's just my opinion :) 
      
The beloved racing machine
       
    
Anywho, back to the weekend!
  
This was Eric's first Bogus Hill Climb race EVER and on his first run he BEAT the hillclimb record for his car class (STS class)!
 
Old STS Hillclimb Record : 2:23
New Record : 2:12  (!!!!!)
   
****
He now holds the record for both annual hillclimbs. At Freezeout Hillclimb he replaced the previous STS record of 1:54.2 (which was his record last year-it was also his first event ever at Freezeout Hill) with a 1:48.2! 
   
How exciting is that? I'm so proud of him, sometimes I can hardly contain myself.
     
    
Eric's car has a serious setup but he still pushes his little car SO
hard that it's not out the normal to see him
"three-wheeling" it around tight corners.
   
Eric's car at a National SCCA Race at Wendover, Utah's
former Airforce Base (the base that was retired after
the Hiroshemah Bomb departed it for it's voyage
across seas).
 
 
 
Bogus Basin Hillclimb Video
There is no way I would EVER want to ride in a car
up this mountain road (you're not allowed to for safety
reasons..but still). This a video of his fastest run,
in which he reaches speeds up to 80ish at times!
Scary..no? Remember - MOUNTAIN ROAD!
(Plenty of trees to wrap yourself around,
...mountains to roll off...yikes!)
Enjoi!
    
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Holy Cow - Good for him. Record holder right here.

    I bet that is the best feeling ever. Just being able to floor it and go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow… very cool! Your blog is amazing! I am enjoying reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess : it's so funny when he gets done racing it's like he's a little boy again stuck in a candy store or something

    Lyr : Thank you for the kind words, I enjoy writing!

    ReplyDelete